Friday, February 25, 2011

Rehandled Mortise Chisel

I picked up a nice Marples oval bolstered mortise chisel a while back, and after using it on one project the handle split.  I had not re-handled a tang chisel, so it was a new experience for me.  Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the process, but I will explain what I did and I have a picture of the finished product. 


And here it is next to the original handle that is cracked.  I tried to use the original as a model for my new handle.  Mine actually fits at the bolster slightly better and is about a 1/2 or so longer. 
 


The first step was to saw the blank to width out of 8/4 ash.  A square section worked nicely.  Next, I had to flatten an edge and square an adjacent edge to it.  Then, I could square off the end of the blank.  On the square end, mark the center of the blank.  Then I drilled a pilot hole for the tang.  Then I measured the tang at the bolster and marked the top of the blank.  I then attacked it with chisels to finish up the tang mortise.  An 1/8 firmer style chisel is almost a must here.  

The blank should fit almost all the way on the tang, except maybe 1/4 inch of space between the blank and the bolster, leave less space for harder woods.  Then hammer it home with a mallet.  Then I shaped the handle.  I used a spokeshave, a block plane, a rasp, a file and some sandpaper.  I finished it off with a few coats of tung oil.  I have used it on a few projects since making the handle, and I am very pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment