Monday, June 6, 2016

Watch dried glue around your tools!

Be careful with your tools even if you are just doing something pretty simple and routine.  I was cleanup up some uneven surface and glue squeeze out with my block plane and I noticed the blade was leaving marks like it was chipped.  So I turned the plane over to look at the blade, which was chipped, but what really caught my eye was the formerly smooth sole of my LN 60 1/2 block plane.



Apparently, the edge of the surface I was leveling had some glue squeeze out up to the edge that had dried hard and pointy, though I have never heard or seen this before.  The hard glue then proceeded to scratch up the sole of my block plane and chip the blade...Wow!  I know it is hard to tell in the photos but some of those are a little deeper than it seems like glue should be able to do.

I don't think any of that will affect how the plane performs.  If it does I suppose I'll be lapping the sole at least a little.  And I know next time I'm cleaning up dried glue on uneven surfaces I'll be a lot more careful.


It's still a good looking plane from the top side though ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment